Dell Inspiron 1545. It arrived with Windows 7 on it.
The first time I upgraded it errored out, rebooted and restored Windows 7. The reason for this was I had over estimated the battery power. It is not as good as it used to be. (insert Ronnie Corbett-esque anecdote about laptop batteries?...maybe another time)
I tried again with the laptop running on the mains power and it completed.
There was however, an issue with the Ethernet and Wi-Fi.
Due to the age of the laptop Dell do not provide updated drivers for Windows 10 so I reinstalled the Windows 7 drivers. They apparently installed with no issue, but it was still not working and not making the connection to the internet.
I ran a diagnostic on the network connections and the result was:
"Windows cannot automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter"The reason for this was, installed on the adapter configuration were some items that were not required.
Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Centre --> Change adapter Settings --> Right Click on the adapter name and select Properties. The window below will appear or something very much like it
- Client for Microsoft Networks
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
- QoS Packet Scheduler
- Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4
- Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
- Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
- Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder.
- the Ethernet cable may not be plugged in correctly
- Firewall or AV software may need to be temporarily disabled.
- Unsupported VPN software.