Friday 19 June 2015

Raspberry Pi differences between the B and the Pi2

When I set up the Pi 2 (after much swearing and cursing and rainbow screens) I used OSMC and Kodi.  OSMC to the Pi 2 is the same as Raspbian to Pi B.  This, if you remember, took me some time to work out.   I confessed my shame in this post.

The Pi 2 initially did not really impress me as although it was supposed to be "better, stronger, faster" (or was that the 6 Million Dollar Man?) it stuttered and buffered and got annoying fast.  The time it took to search for stuff was longer than using the Pi B.  The processor was supposed to be faster and the memory was double.

If your read my earlier progress (or lack thereof) I was alerted to there being an alternate installation for the Pi 2 by the different installations of OpenElec. In this case OSMC, instead of Raspbian 

I decided that it might be worth a look at a different installation and OpenElec was the one that came to mind because of the above, not that I have to have a reason more than "ooh! shiny"

When I got it set up it seemed to work a bit better, less stuttering,  buffering and quicker to go and find what it was "waiting" for.

I skipped the B+ version.  So my experience is limited to the B and the Pi 2. There are countless comparisons for the B+ and Pi 2. 

I have also read that there will be a version of Windows 10 that will run on the Pi 2

So, as a recap :

Pi B
Pi 2
Works from an SD Card. Will work on microSD card with adaptor
Works from a MicroSD Card
Works on a 2GB SD card
Works on a 4GB minimum  microSDcard
Works on a 1.5A Power supply
Works on a minimum 2A Power supply
Requires correct installation ie Raspbian or correct download from selected OS
Requires correct installation ie OSMC or correct download from selected OS


Where as the upgrade path from the B+ is supposed to be straight forward, the B was not so much.  

It does seem to have settled down now and is working ok.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Audio Issues after Windows 10 Update - Red X on Audio in system tray

 I'm going to work backwards This is the link to the fix    This here this is the link If like me you are reading anything and everythin...