Sunday 17 March 2013

Murphy's Law and Security

So Murphy's PC was back in the workshop again this week.  I have named this Murphy's PC due to the fact that if something can go wrong it definitely will!  As in Murphy's Law. 

Symptoms were: PC booting up ok - no issues.  
User login screen appears correctly.  
Click on the user the system goes through start up.
And that was game over.  The system appeared to hang.  If I was quick enough to get the task manager up it would show no CPU activity except for task manager itself.  

The error log was not a major source of information (as usual).  Although, searching google for one of the error wordings turned up an issue with the Anti-Virus application installed.  

Now, I have recommended this AV application to many friends and family for quite a few years.  I have it running on the Lamas household PCs.  While I believe that the error is mostly due to the fact that this was installed on Murphy's PC, for the reasons stated above (if it can go wrong it will) it does give me pause and I may start looking, interestedly, at other AV programs for the households many and varying systems, although none are running XP anymore.  Forewarned being forearmed ... or something!
 
My Android devices all use Lookout Security.  No actual reason but it does have the  ability to locate the device which gives me something interesting to do when I am out somewhere, waiting for something or just in the queue at the supermarket!

I am trying a different AV at this very moment.  Interestingly, (if you are a geek like me)  the new AV has identified a threat in temp files that belonged to the installer of the old one!  That will teach me to remember to clean up temp files.  The PC is now happily working with its new AV with no conflicts.

So, my point today is what (other than the fact my Nexus 7 Bluetooth keyboard does not in fact have a question mark!  seriously? sorry found it!)

My point is, that sometimes application upgrades are designed with the most up to date operating systems in mind.  Murphy's PC runs XP.  Which for now is ok.  But it appears the updated version of the old AV no longer works well with XP, in this instance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Audio Issues after Windows 10 Update - Red X on Audio in system tray

 I'm going to work backwards This is the link to the fix    This here this is the link If like me you are reading anything and everythin...