Friday 19 April 2013

Malware Bitten

Been a bit quiet this week.  Had lots of admin type stuff to do.  
Sort out the bank. 
Get some advertising stuff sorted out.
Cashflow and Business plan stuff

Clean up the Lamas Desktop PC!

It seems that I got caught out by Malware!  (Hangs head in shame!)

I was looking for something that would give me an alarm after 15 or 20 minutes.  In hindsight I should have used the timer on the cooker!  But that would have meant that I had to get up and go into the kitchen.

I downloaded something from CNet and went to install it.  The firewall went crazy and the AV started jumping up and down.  It would seem that bundled in with the alarm app, was a browser toolbar or extension - which I hate, Wajam and pricepeep and ever since I have been getting pop up ads, continual google surveys and advertising. And SelectionLinks which was giving me ads on just about everything under the sun.

Just about everything I install recently has a do you want to install something else or other that you didnt ask for button.  Usually this is ticked in premature confirmation.  I installed a Flash update today.  That included an additional virus checker.  

Be vigilant when you install something and read and understand all the clicky ticky boxes.

It happens to the best of us and the most careful.  I was fortunate that the anti-virus and the firewall did their job.  There was not clicky tick box to check, this one was bundled in with the application.

I  ran Malwarebytes and it found 16 registry keys (Head is still hanging in shame!)  It is running now for the second time just to be on the safe side.

Anti-virus scan seems ok, I think it caught most of it on the way in. 


Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Audio Issues after Windows 10 Update - Red X on Audio in system tray

 I'm going to work backwards This is the link to the fix    This here this is the link If like me you are reading anything and everythin...