Thursday 4 April 2013

Facebook flail



Facebook…it has many uses.  

It helps me keep in touch with friends and relatives.  I see what everyone is up to, get a heads up on birthdays,  I play scrabble with my sister and some other odd games.

However, there are a few things…

I often see posts that tell me I must urgently change my security settings so that I do not repost stuff by mistake others have posted.  flail flail!

The last one was regarding the Facebook Graph App.  It told me to change the security settings for EACH of my friends.  Yeah – NO.   

If I had changed my security settings the way suggested I would not see anything  or anyone on my feed AT ALL!!

I don’t take credit for analysing the post.  That, according to a site called Snopes.com, was done by security provider Sophos.

Article from Snopes including the text of the post


I have noticed that in the past it was emails that I was checking on Snopes, in the last few years my main enquiries to Snopes have come mostly from facebook fodder.  

I have found that selecting a part of the text, copying and pasting into a search engine such as Google, Yahoo, or anyother search engine that you might prefer to use will give  results.

Take for instance the graphapp post, the first line up to and including the key words Graph App.

FACEBOOK HAS CHANGED THEIR PRIVACY SETTINGS ONCE MORE!!! DUE TO THE NEW “GRAPH APP”

I put this into a search.  The first site listed is Snopes followed by many other sites each giving advice on this Hoax.

So, next time, maybe take a minute before you repost some “security warning” to all of your Facebook friends.  Select some text, do a search, and just see if it is a real issue or just something someone made up for the hell of it.

Snopes.com is an intereting read.  Take a look at their articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Audio Issues after Windows 10 Update - Red X on Audio in system tray

 I'm going to work backwards This is the link to the fix    This here this is the link If like me you are reading anything and everythin...