Saturday 11 October 2014

Zombies, Dust, Heatsink, Laptop Cleaning!

In the last week I think that the PCs and Laptops at Lamas HQ have been infested by aliens or zombies or something.

One laptop has died an unrecoverable death.  It is quite sad because that laptop has been with me for a while, been upgraded, OS and hardware, and was working quite well.  

I have ordered myself a new one. 

One of the desktops decided to have an unrecoverable windows error.  Which was solved with a simple system restore and then there is the Lamas Network Managers devices.
His laptop is not very old.  However, it has had some hiccups in its time.  There was the incident of the tea.  Laptops are not very british in their approach to tea - not overly fond of it!

The only real result of this was a permanent failure of some of the keys ie it will only work on certain letters and the backspace is useless.  MSConfig types as MSonfg - which is next to useless when troubleshooting it! Which I do a lot of.

It other issues were that it kept switching itself off and, when it was working, it sounded like a jet engine getting ready to take off within a few minutes of booting.

I have spent quite some time trying to address the issues. To seemingly no avail.
Until today...

It is sitting behind me as I type this and I can actually hear my own PC running. It is running quite silently - no it has not switched off (turns round again to check - yes it it still on!)

This was the problem:








That is a picture of the heatsink from his laptop.  It was thick with dust.  It is no wonder it had to work so hard. That part of the heatsink sits next to the fan. 











The other device was his phone.  It met the floor at high speed and cracked.

Before
Shiny and new again!

























So I will wait for my new laptop ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Audio Issues after Windows 10 Update - Red X on Audio in system tray

 I'm going to work backwards This is the link to the fix    This here this is the link If like me you are reading anything and everythin...